I thought it would be fun to be part of the Crafts Unleashed ornament making challenge. When I am not working on my granddaughter’s dollhouse I prefer to craft with wood. Consumer Crafts has a wide selection of wooden cut-outs. I thought it would be neat to make some tiered snowflake tree ornaments using their cutouts.
- Wood Snowflake Cutouts-Asst Size
- Viva Décor Glitter Liner-Silver
- Viva Décor Glitter Liner-Gold
- Studio 71 Acrylic Paint Iridescent Gold
- Studio 71 Acrylic Paint Iridescent Silver
- Darice Wood Glue-4 oz
- Krylon® Triple Thick Clear Glaze Spray
If you have never worked with wood before here are a few helpful tips when making wooden ornaments:
- When painting unfinished wooden ornaments it’s always a good idea to sand the wood first. Sanding makes the paint adhere more readily to the wood and brings out the wood grain, which I really like to see.
- You should always paint the front and back, even if the main design is on the front, the ornament will last longer if all wood is painted.
- When you have finished painting and are happy with how everything looks finish your project with a finish coat, some kind of clear sealer. Christmas ornaments are usually stored away most of the year. By sealing your ornament you will keep it looking great!
I had so much fun making the ornaments as an extra bonus I also sanded, painted, & sealed a stand up ornament for one of our side-tables. (Pinewood Stars-Natural-Asst)