Repurpose your fabric and ribbon scraps to create a unique DIY gift box holder. Decorate a paper mache box with your scraps, add glitter or buttons and a mini grapevine star or heart to create a country chic ornament for friends or family. This DIY gift box project makes a great gift that you can add your own personal touch for that someone special.
- 3″ Paper Mache Heart Box
- Repurposed Fabric and Ribbon Scraps
- Felt Scraps
- Mini Grapevine Star
- Hot Glue Gun & Sticks
- Using a piece of recycled cardboard (such as a cereal box), trace the shape of the heart paper mache box. Cut out this heart and use as a template for any other materials you want to add to your box.
- Cut fabric to fit and wrap the base of the paper mache box with a piece of fabric. Glue in place and set aside to dry. Make sure you fit the lid properly so the lid properly fits the box after you’ve decorated it.
- Cut out fabric to fit the top of the box, glue in place. Continue to add materials to decorate the top of the box.
- Glue grapevine star in place. Wrap ribbon around the side of the lid and adhere in place.
Use a variety of different textured fabrics and extra embellishments to create an array of ornament DIY gift boxes. Consider repurposing old sweaters, denim and satin ribbons for a great handmade feel with a little modern shine. This DIY gift box craft can be a gift all it’s own, or make a small gift to pack inside and deliver as a two in one gift idea.
More Project Ideas
Jen Goode is the owner and “doodler in charge,” a Denver based art and design studio. She has been a creative professional since 1996, developing art for a variety of uses in an array of mediums from handmade crafts to Graphic design and illustration. Jen, a designer member of CHA, is a tech savvy, work-at-home mom of 3 who shares her creative inspirations with other moms through her site Projects for Preschoolers and as a featured contributor on various sites throughout the web. Jen’s motto is “Inspiring Smiles Every Day.”