I like start early on my Christmas gift “making”. I try to make most of my holiday gifts, which requires time and creativity. I created a holiday gift making inspiration box so that when I have a gift idea I can jot myself a note, or draw a sketch, and tuck it safely into my inspiration box. I have seen these style boxes before called Christmas Wish boxes but this crafty wooden box isn’t for my Christmas wishes but holiday craft ideas for gift giving!
Materials Needed to Make Your Own Holiday Inspiration Box:
- Unfinished Rectangular Wooden Box #9151-57
- Studio 71 Tracing Paper # 97490-3
- Studio 71 Acrylic Paints #97848
- Paint Brushes #97674
- Carbon Paper
- Small Screw Driver to remove the hinges and latch
- Sand Paper
1. Before I began painting the box I needed to remove the hinges and sand it.
2. Next, I looked around to find a pattern I wanted to recreate on the top of the wooden box. I have some cardboard Christmas gift boxes and love the design on the top cover. Using tracing paper I traced the pattern from the top of the box and then added some holly berries and evergreen along the side.
3. Next, I painted the entire box inside and out and waited for it to dry.
5. Then using acrylic paints I added my first layer of paint and waited for it to dry.
6. Once it was dry I added several more layers of paint for dimension and interest.
7. When it was completely dry I then added the hinges and latch back onto the box.
I plan to use my holiday inspiration box as a little treasure box to keep all my Christmas gift ideas inside.
More Project Ideas
Sarah Forhan writes craft tutorials and craft reviews on her blog at Sewing and Crafting with Sarah.