Today we are going to celebrate fall with some fun handmade felt fall leaf DIY coasters. They are easy to make and will bring a bit of the fall beauty into your home.
I love fall. LOVE IT! And, the best part of fall are the colors. I live in Minnesota were the winters are cold, but the fall is gorgeous. Driving home from my son’s swimming lesson today I actually exclaimed out-loud, “oh my! how beautiful!” as we drove by a ridge just covered with red and orange and yellow trees. Although I could never capture the full beauty of fall I love to work with these colors and create simple usable items for my home that reflect the season. That is exactly what I tried to do with this DIY coasters project.
- Felt (red, orange, yellow and green)
- Embroidery Thread
- Water Soluble Marker
- Leaf Template (I used this one).
Once you have all of your supplies gathered, take your felt and cut 3 4″ circles for each coaster that you plan to make. 2 of the circles should be of one color and the other circle should be of a different color. This way your coaster will have the same color on top and bottom with a different color peaking through.
This project is basically just reverse applique meaning that instead of stitching a shape on top of a piece of material, we are cutting a hole and allowing another piece of fabric to peak through. This is a great technique if you have never tried it. Here are the steps for completing this project:
- Using a leaf template and the water soluble marker, trace a leaf shape onto one of the 4″ felt circles you cut out. This will be the top of the coaster. Cut a hole in the center of the leaf and carefully cut it out. Remember, we just want a leaf hole, don’t cut to the sides.
- Next, place the felt circle you cut from a different color behind your circle with the leaf-shaped hole. Using contrasting thread, whip stitch around the leaf cut-out.
- Then add a few lines to the inside of your leaf using a split stitch.
- Finally, place the 3rd circle behind the other two and blanket stitch the entire thing together.
Here is a close up of one of my finished DIY coasters.
I love fall. And, I hope you do too!
Happy fall y’all!
More Project Ideas
Nancy is the play-at-home mom of 3 little ones, ages 3 and under. When she gets a chance she blogs at dosmallthingswithlove.com about the intersection of motherhood and creativity. She has a special passion for embroidery, something she has been doing and experimenting with since she was a girl. A farm girl at heart, she now lives in Minneapolis and enjoys gardening, reading, stitching, traveling and painting. Most any day you can find her with a baby on her hip, barefoot, chasing her kids around the yard and eating beans fresh out of the garden.