Depending on the color scheme that you choose, these fun snowflakes can stay up all winter long! So, are you ready to make this intricate and complex-looking but low effort craft? Here’s how:
- Take 6 pieces of cardstock in your choice of colors – I used white, light blue and dark blue so it can stay up all winter long. Cut them into a square. I used an 8.5” x 11.5 piece of paper and made it into an 8.5” x 8.5” square, and it turned out to be a very large snowflake. Choose the size of your squares depending on how big you want your finished snowflake to be.
- Fold the square into a triangle, and then fold it again into a smaller triangle. Note: if your paper is not a perfect square and you have excess on the sides, that is okay, it will not show.
- Unfold the small triangle so you are working with the big triangle piece. Cut diagonal lines from the bottom of the fold up to just before the crease of the paper – DO NOT cut all the way to the crease! Do the same to the other side of the triangle and match up the distance of the slits the best you can. I cut 4 slits on each side, but that might differ depending on the size of your triangle.
- Unfold your triangle and starting with the middle, roll the two points together, forming a tube. Adhere with a glue dot (I started out using tape and it was a little hard to use and you could see it, so glue dots are perfect!). Flip the paper over- so the next tube will be on the opposite side of the first- make another tube and adhere the point together. Continue with the rest of the paper, making sure to alternate sides with each cut out.
- Repeat steps 2 – 4 with the other 5 pieces of cardstock.
- After all 6 sides of the snowflake are completed, take 3 of them and staple the bottom points together. Do the same with the other 3, then staple both sets together by matching the center points together.
- Once the snowflake is fully assembled, staple the snowflake sides together so they look more connected and do not come apart. The staples should not show. Add a ribbon or string to hang, and your pretty, 3D snowflake is done!