Learn how to fold modular origami paper crowns! These cute paper crowns are easy to make and require no glue or scissors! This origami crown tutorial is great for special occasions or can be a simple everyday craft too.
My kids love to do crafts together, and since they are out of school for the summer, we are finding lots of time for crafting lately. One thing they have been getting into recently is origami. I loved origami as a kid and have loved teaching them some of the paper folding projects I enjoyed making years ago.
These cute origami crowns are one of our favorite recent projects. They are simple enough for kids to make on their own, although they may need a little help, especially with assembling the crowns.
- 12″ x 12″ Patterned Scrapbook Paper (2 pieces for each crown)
- Paper Trimmer
- Adhesive Gems
- Gold Brads
Step One. Cut Paper to Size.
Start off by cutting the paper into 6″ x 6″ paper. You can also start off by using 6″ x 6″ paper, but because you will need 6-8 pieces for each crown, using 12″ x 12″ paper makes it easy to get a lot of sheets with the same pattern.
Step Two. Fold Sections.
- Take one of your pieces of paper, and place it on your table with the patterned side down. Fold the paper in half widthwise, and then unfold the paper.
- Then, fold it in half lengthwise, and open the paper back up. You should have a cross fold in the center of the paper.
- Next, fold one of the top corners to line up with the center cross and crease.
- Repeat with the other top corner.
- With the folded corners at the top, fold up the bottom of the paper to meet the crease line in the center of the paper and crease.
- Fold the bottom rectangle piece up again and crease along the center fold line.
- Fold the right half of the entire piece over on top of the left half and crease along the center line.
- Finally, unfold the last fold.
Keep folding these pieces until you have enough to make your crown. We used 7 pieces for most of our crowns, but you can add or remove pieces to make a smaller or larger crown.
Step Three. Join Pieces.
To assemble the crowns, you will basically slide the folded rectangle bottom of one crown piece into the adjacent piece.
- Start with two pieces with the triangle fold side of the pieces facing up.
- Slip the corner of the right piece’s rectangle fold into the rectangle fold on the left piece. (See images for guidance.)
- It might be helpful to slightly pull back the triangle section of the piece on the left.
- Slide the pieces together until the end of the right piece meets the center fold line of the left piece. (It will be difficult to slide it past this point.)
- Continue joining pieces together in this method, and finally, slide one end into the first piece to form a circle.
And that’s it! At this point your origami crown is finished and ready to wear. If you like, you can add some extra bling to your crown, which we did with some of ours.
Step Four. Decorate Crowns.
Adhesive gems make it really easy for kids to add some sparkle to their paper crowns.