Make your own personalized book bag totes in no time at all! This is a great activity to do as a group or all on your own, and all you need is a blank canvas tote bag, some Tulip fabric paint and your creativity. With school just beginning, it’s always fun to create your own extras to show off your personality. These totes are easy to make and a fun project for any age.
- White cotton Tote Bag (natural color works, the color of the paint change slightly)
- Tulip fabric spray paint
- Tulip fabric markers
- Any extra embellishments you’d like to add
How to make your own book bag tote:
- Prepare work area by covering with plastic. Make sure you were your paint clothes as this will stain if you get it on your clothing.
- To leave a white area for text, cover area with packing tape and then spray.
- Using the spray paint, layer colors as you’d like, first on the front, let dry and then on the bag.
- Once the spray paint is dry, remove tape. Decorate with markers as desired. Let dry.
That’s it – you can create all kinds of personalized tote bags with this fun paint!
A few extra ideas:
- Use fabric scraps that you paint to create fun embellishments and add ons. Glue them on using a fabric glue.
- Mix and match colors, experiment with how close or far you hold the sprayer, and even try using stencils to create some neat effects to your pieces.
- Use these same paints on all kinds of clothing or fabric items.
- Make sure to always use the spray paints in a well covered area so as not to damage furniture or clothing with paint sprays.
More Project Ideas
Jen Goode is the owner and “doodler in charge,” a Denver based art and design studio. She has been a creative professional since 1996, developing art for a variety of uses in an array of mediums from handmade crafts to Graphic design and illustration. Jen, a designer member of CHA, is a tech savvy, work-at-home mom of 3 who shares her creative inspirations with other moms through her site Projects for Preschoolers and as a featured contributor on various sites throughout the web. Jen’s motto is “Inspiring Smiles Every Day.”