Here’s a pretty project to make with kids of all ages – a Valentine mobile made using pony beads and chenille stems aka pipe cleaners. Kids can use their creativity making all kinds of pretty hearts to add a little love to the air… literally! This is also a great activity for younger kids (with adult supervision, of course), the beading is a fantastic fine motor skill activity.
How to make your own Valentine Mobile:
- Cut Chenille stems in half . Add beads leaving a minimum of 1/2″ stem on each end. Twist stem ends together and fold downward to create heart shape. Snip remaining stem is desired.
- Cut various lengths of ribbon. Tie one ribbon, adding a bow if you’d like, to the top of each heart. Optional: add a touch of glue to each ribbon knot and let dry to secure ribbon in place.
- Using 2 chenille stems, twist together and then form a circle, twisting ends closed. This is the top of the mobile.
- Tie a ribbon on one side of the circle, tie the other end of the ribbon directly across, on the opposite side of the circle. Repeat with a second ribbon so you have one knot at every quarter of the circle and crossing directly in the middle of the ribbon.
- Create a small loop of chenille that wraps around the middle of the ribbons together at the crossing point. This is your hanging loop.
- Tie each ribbon with a heart at different locations around the mobile top circle piece.
- Hang and enjoy!
You can create completely different looks to this project depending what colors of ribbon and chenille you use along with which beads you choose to string on each heart. Try making the hearts all one color with different sized of beads, or make a bead color pattern, it’s up to you!