Show off your American spirit with these super cute and fun to make Patriotic bling flip-flops. Using red, white and blue beads assorted size and color pony beads you can create embellishments to pretty up a pair of pair of regular ‘ol flip-flops. Make bead bling for yourself and then make a set for your friends. Even more fun, these little bead strings jingle a little when you walk! Make yourself a couple pairs with different colored flip-flops and you’ll be set for summer.
Supplies you’ll need:
- Big Value assorted size and color Pony Beads
- String or ribbon (cotton string or yarn seems to wear best)
How to make your own flip-flop bead bling:
- Cut 6 pieces of string at least 8″ long.
- Make a knot at one end of one piece of string. Thread beads on to string about 5″.
- Leave a 1/2″ space of string and make another knot. Separate the beads so the gap is in the middle of the strand.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for remaining 5 pieces of string. Create bling strands using 2 color for every 2 string.
- Cut two more piece of string, 10″ long.
- Lay down one 10″ on a flat surface. Layer 1 of each bead strand with center gap of each strand overlapping in the middle.
- Using the bead-less piece of string, tie around all the strands in the center so they are all in one piece.
- Using the same string, wrap around the toe end of the flip-flop straps. Alternate one side of the string clockwise around the flip-flop strap and the other side of string counter-clockwise.
- Tie string with a double knot at top center of flip-flop strap.
Voila! In no time at all you’ll have yourself some fancy little USA inspired summer shoes that will make your toes tap. Have fun mixing the beads and create all kinds of pretty new looks to add a bit of sparkle to your flip-flops.
More Project Ideas
Jen Goode is the owner and “doodler in charge,” a Denver based art and design studio. She has been a creative professional since 1996, developing art for a variety of uses in an array of mediums from handmade crafts to Graphic design and illustration. Jen, a designer member of CHA, is a tech savvy, work-at-home mom of 3 who shares her creative inspirations with other moms through her site Projects for Preschoolers and as a featured contributor on various sites throughout the web. Jen’s motto is “Inspiring Smiles Every Day.”