Welcome to our L-O-V-E Challenge! We’ve asked our designers to come up with a fabulous craft featuring the word “Love” to get us in the mood for Valentine’s Day. Check back every day to see what each design team member came up with- and then we’ll have a vote for YOUR favorite at the end (and probably some fun giveaway items, too!)
Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday to decorate my home. There are several reasons why I really enjoy Valentine’s Day Home Décor. First, my home has very dark furniture and the red and white really pop along the mantles, doors, and walls. The second, and probably the most important reason why I like Valentine’s Day so much is that it is low stress. There are no parties to plan for, no huge presents to buy. I usually decorate our home, make a few “love” themed snacks for the kids, and buy a mushy card for my husband. In return, I get hugs and kisses from my children and flowers from my husband; Valentine’s Day rocks!
This Valentine’s Day I wanted to create something unique. I “love” the look of rustic metal and mirrors together and I wanted to design a wall hanging using both mediums.
4 Rustic Metal Heart Caps (similar)
4 Round Mirrors
7mm Jump Rings Antique Copper
Wire Heart Ring (n/a – other option)
Finishing Accent Trims
3/16” Feather Edge Red Ribbon
Brass Charm Words
Hair Bow Tool & Ruler
Jewelry and Metal Glue
1. To begin the project you will need to first drill a hole through the top and bottom of the metal heart caps. The hole should be large enough to attach three jump rings.
2. Next, using Aleene’s jewelry and metal glue attach the mirrors to the back of the heart caps. Helpful Hint: A little glue goes a really long way. Place small little drops of glue in between the hearts on the metal cap and then slowly place the mirror down. Be very careful to not get glue on any part of the mirror that will be seen.
3. Use the jewelry and metal glue to attach metal charms to the front of the rustic metal heart caps.
4. Once, glue has completely dried, add metal jump rings to the heart caps. Begin by attaching three jump rings to the holes you drilled in the caps. Then attach another three jump rings to connect the caps together.
5. To make the top of the hanging décor wrap finishing accent trim around the 5” wire heart ring. Completely wrap the heart with the finishing accent trim and tie off ribbon.
6. Using the Mini Bowdabra and the Hair Bow Tool and Ruler measure out two of the exact same size bows. Attach the first bow around the top the top of the heart. Attach a metal charm to the center of the bow. Helpful Hint: The Mini Bowdabra and Hair Bow Tool and Ruler are not just for making hair bows. They are great at making home décor bows the same size, every time.
7. Attach three jump rings at the bottom of the heart. Then make a small chain using three jump rings per segment from the bottom of the heart to the top of the heart cap. Attach the other bow you made using your Mini Bowdabra to the chain and then cover the center of the bow with another metal charm.
8. The Valentine’s Day Metal Wall Art now ready to be displayed!
I “love” the design and how the sun catches the mirror and makes the little hearts along the edges sparkle. I hope you “love” it as much as I do!