Design and create gorgeous holiday bows using Bowdabra’s newest product the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler. The Hair Bow Tool & Ruler fits over the Mini Bowdabra. The ruler helps you measure and create perfectly even loops. The Hair Bow Tool & Ruler comes with an interactive CD with step-by-step instructions for making 70 bows.
Christmas ribbon hair bows are perfect for holiday gifts or to put the finishing touch on a holiday outfit. Create many different sized and style bows depending on age or occasion. Large loopy bows look gorgeous for holiday pictures. Or two small matching little bows are perfect for little girl’s pig-tails.
To make Christmas hair bows you will need:
- Mini Bowdabra
- Hair Bow Tool & Ruler (comes with Interactive Hair Bow Making CD)
- Bowdabra Bow Wire
- Assorted Ribbon
- Assorted Hair Bow Clips
- Seamstress Tape
- Fray Check, Lighter, or Clear Nail Polish for sealing the ribbon
1. Begin with Bowdabra Bow Wire, Mini Bowdabra, Hair Bow Tool & Ruler, and Interactive CD.
2. To make bows place the Hair Bow Tool & Ruler onto the Mini Bowdabra. Cut a piece of 18″ Bowdabra Bow Wire and fold it in half and place it into the Mini Bowdabra.
3. Next, using the ribbon length chart in the Bowdabra Interactive Hair Bow Making CD cut the ribbon for the hair bow style you would like to make. The first bow I made was a Basic Bow with 6 loops. I cut the ribbon according to the chart and then followed the instructions for making the hair bow.
4. Finish the bow according to the CD’s instructions. I made a large bow so the hardware I chose was a 2″ french hair clip that I attached to the bow using the Bowdabra Bow Wire.
5. Create small pigtail hair bows for the holidays. Use the Bowdabra ruler to create smaller size loops. Using the ribbon length chart on the Bowdabra Interactive CD cut the ribbon to make small 3″ wide boutique bows. Add a ribbon tail to the top of the bow. I made two matching boutique bows with a ribbon tail on the top.
6. Attach small alligator clips to the hair bows using the Bowdabra Bow Wire.
7. Design two bows, one on top of the other for a large full bow. Cut ribbon for a 4″ wide Quad Loop Pinwheel Bow and a 3″ Boutique Bow. I used two holiday colors to coordinate with one of my daughter’s Christmas dresses.
8. Attach a hair clip to the bow using the Bowdabra Bow Wire. Clip the extra wire away.
9. Once the hair bows are attached to the hair clips the bow can be complete. However, you can add a finishing ribbon to the center of the hair bows to cover the wire. The Interactive Hair Bow Making CD has an entire chapter on how to finish hair bows. I added finishing ribbon to all of my bows but the large red one. The large one I thought looked nice with a touch of gold wire in the center.
I hope this tutorial has inspired you to purchase the Hair Bow Making Tool & Ruler along with the Mini Bowdabra to create your own hair bows for the holidays. The Hair Bow Making CD provides over 500 interactive pages for making 70 different hair bows. The CD has 12 chapters and covers hair bow making from beginning to end.
Happy Holidays! ~ Sarah Forhan
More Project Ideas
Sarah Forhan writes craft tutorials and craft reviews on her blog at Sewing and Crafting with Sarah.