Using Darice’s Luxury Craft Fur, design and sew an easy to make messenger bag to hold homework, books, and laptop. Add a fur pocket in the front for cellphone and other small items. Darice’s Craft Fur comes in 12 x 15inch sheets and is the perfect size for making this trendy chic back-to-school teen messenger bag! Best of all the pattern is easy enough that teens and pre-teens could sew their own handbag!
- 12 x 15 inch dark brown luxury fur (2 sheets)
- 12 x 15 inch black luxury fur
- D-Rings or Key Rings
- Black Belting or 2.5″ Black Satin Ribbon
- Sewing Machine or Hand-Stitch
1. Begin with two sheets of the brown luxury fur and one sheet of the black luxury craft fur.
2. Cut two matching brown sheets of fur for your messenger bag. Cut the sheets a little bit bigger than the size of the bag to account for your hems when you stitch them together. Cut a pocket from the black fur. Finish the edges of the pocket by folding a .5″ hem along all the sides. Sew the hems and then attach the pocket to the front fur piece. Place the two brown pieces together (fur sides facing in) and sew the sides and the bottom. Inside out the bag.
3. Sew a finishing hem along the top of the bag.
4. To attach your purse handle first sew either D-Rings (or an easy alternative is key rings) along the inside edge of the purse.
5. Attach either cotton belting, cording, or satin ribbon through the d-rings. Sew the ends to the sides of the belting to complete the purse handles.
6. Your messenger bag is complete!
More Project Ideas
Sarah Forhan writes craft tutorials and craft reviews on her blog at Sewing and Crafting with Sarah.