Do you love making candles as much as I do? If so, you’re going to love these colorful DIY crayon candles. Just look at all those colorful layers. Aren’t they fabulous? I had no idea that adding crayons to soy wax would make beautiful crayons until I made these candles.
Not only are they fun to make but they’re so easy. It’s a great rainy day craft because they are a little time consuming but that’s okay because you’ll have beautiful candles to show off to all your friends.
Supplies needed to make your own DIY crayon candles:
- Soy Candle Making Kit
- Votive Candle Cup
- Disposable Cups
- Essential Oil ( I used lavender)
- Extra Candle Wicks (depending on how many candles you want to make)
Step 1: Remove labels from candles and break into three pieces. Fill a small dixie cup with wax and top with one broken crayon. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for an additional minute.
Step 2: Remove cup from microwave. Add 5-10 drops of essential oil and stir. Let cool for 15 seconds.
Step 3: Place a candle wick in center of votive. Pour wax into votive candle cup. Let cool for 30 minutes.
Step 4: Repeat and continue to pour layers of colored wax into each votive.
And, that’s it! This is a great way to use up old, broken crayons. It’s also a fun craft for the older kiddos with supervision, of course. I think they make fun gifts too. The best part is that you can make all kinds of different colored DIY crayon candles.
- If you make a lot of candles at one time, leave your microwave door open to let it cool down in between using it to melt all the layers.
- Use two pencils or popsicle sticks to keep wick in center of votive.
- Use a dry erase market to mark where you want each layer if you’re a perfectionist like me:)
- Feel free to use different essential oils and candle fragrances.
- Have fun!
So, what do you think? Would you make these colorful crayon candles?